Documents that must be kept on board

The pleasure craft, with or without CE label, shall always carry the following documents:

- Rowing and sailing vessels, when sailing for pleasure or sport fishing, have to be provided (even if not required by law) only with the identification documents of people on board;

- The motor boats, in addition to the identification documents of people on board must have:

- the declaration of engine power or the certificate of use of the engine (the latter has been revoked), both for outboard engines and not. On the document must be indicated the engine power in kW / hp and the engine size, in order to determine the possible obligation of the boat license, as well as the hourly consumption;

- The mandatory insurance policy of civil liability for damage to third parties (minimum guarantee threshold 774,685 euro) for units equipped with any engine power. The limit of three horsepower tax was abolished. The certificate marking shall be visibly exposed;

- Currently valid Boating license (the annual tax has been abolished). The license is mandatory when the total engine power exceeds 40.8 hp, equal to 30 kW, or the engine size exceeds 750 cc. if two-stroke injected, 1,000 cc if four-stroke injected outboard, or by direct injection, 1,300 cc if four-stroke injected inboard, 2,000 cc. if diesel, as well as the navigation takes place at a distance of more than six miles offshore or to drive watercrafts.

If there is on board a VHF (mandatory when navigating more than six miles offshore) shall be kept on board:

  1. limited certificate of RTF operator (it can be achieved without examination and is not subjected to expiration or to stamped paper);
  2. operating Rtf license (issued by virtue of the new law on boating, directly from the Regional Inspectorate of Communications, which has its jurisdiction over the place of residence of the sailor).

For vessels manufactured in series, it is mandatory on board the Approval Certificate and Declaration Of Conformity (original or certified copy). This certificate shall state: the kind of navigation for which that unit is enabled; the maximum power (and mass) of the engine installed on board; the number of people transported (up to 3 people m. 3.50, 4 persons up to m. 4,50, 5 persons up to 6 m. 6 people up to m. 7.50, 7 people for bigger units).

Vessels, in order to navigate up to 12 miles offshore, besides the aforementioned documents, shall carry one of the following documents:

- The type-certificate and declaration of conformity issued by the manufacturer to show that the unit is enabled to Navigation without limits (or more than six miles offshore);

- R.C.D Extract (Recreational Craft Directive) issued for the units already recognized and subsequently deleted from the records, from the former office of entries, stating that the unit was enabled to navigate without any limit; a specific certificate of eligibility issued by a notified body.

The boats, as well as the identification documents of persons on board shall have:

- Navigation license (not subjected to any periodic control);

- Declaration of engine power (only for units with outboard motor);

- Insurance policy (always required: the fiscal limit of the three horsepower has been revoked) the mark of the certificate shall be exposed;

- A Currently valid safety certificate (the security annotations of the license shall be valid until they expire);

- Request for tenders (RFT mandatory for all units that have a radiophone equipment on board). The document does not expire.

The RFT certificate – granted without examination.

Currently valid Boating license (the annual fee has been revoked);


- the parking fee has been abolished for all pleasure boats;

- the hull of the CE units is bearing the manufacturer’s plate in which are shown the design category (A, B, C or D), which are linked to the boat’s stability in these 4 categories of wind force and significant wave height (which represent the 2 environmental conditions to consider when sailing), the maximum recommended load in kg. and the maximum number of people to transport. More information on the use of the unit are shown in the “Owner’s Manual”, which is delivered by the manufacturer to the owner at the moment of purchase.

In case you have installed an auxiliary motor, it must bear the statement or certificate of power and the self-insurance policy. The engines installed on any-power recreational craft must have their own insurance coverage.

For the navigation through domestic ports, the documents may be kept on board as a certified copy.

The units with the CE label, in relation to the design category, are enabled to the following navigation species:

Group A: unlimited;

Category B: with winds up to force 8 and significant wave heights up to 4 meters (rough sea);

Category C: with winds up to force 6 and significant wave heights up to 2 meters (rough sea);

Category D: navigation in the protected waters, with wind force 4 and significant wave heights up to 0.3 meters.

Note: To measure the strength of the wind the Beaufort scale is adopted. For significant wave height we mean the average height calculated considering a further third of wave heights observed in a given period. The assessment is made by meteorological and marine skippers, who grant the utilization of unit within the limits of the design category assigned by the manufacturer, according to the instructions in the owner’s manual.

Navigating with tenders:

- The boats motor yachts up to 10 meters (the length of these units has been aligned, according the Reform Act on Sailing), if used as a “tender”, shall bear the initials and the number of registration on the hull (eg. tender to GE 100D). During the navigation within a mile from the shore or from the mother-unit, if it is offshore, it is mandatory to have on board only life jackets and the lifebuoy, with the exception of other amenities. The tender must bear the statement of power or a certificate of use (valid even after the deletion) and the policy of insurance, which is mandatory, since the reform of the nautical world for all engines installed on board (the exemption limit three Horsepower tax has been revoked).



Nautical Notice board. The new meeting point between supply and demand.

The Board is the “place” where is possible to find everything you need about boating and represents the chance to have at your fingertips a list of skippers and sailors.


Tourist itineraries. The ideal place to discover the Land of Bari.

One way to make Bari and its coast and a “must see” destination for all boaters who want to know or revalue our territory.

The Agreement.
A real benefit for all members.

Price reduced on moorings, for purchasing in stores and for navigation services, the Assonautica Bari has signed a series of agreements on behalf of its members.>>>



Newsletter. Always updated on news and events.

Our newsletter will allow you to stay updated on the activities of Assonautica Bari and all events and demonstrations nationwide.


The agreements. A tangible benefit for all members.

Discounts on moorings and purchase in stores and for services in the field of navigation, the Assonautica Bari has signed a series of agreements on behalf of its members.